Be One Percent is a small charity with a big mission: to end global poverty. In the past six years we have steadily grown and we are now in a position to add a new member to the team.
In 2018 we will be recruiting a Membership Champion, a compelling story teller whose role will be to find and build relationships with a variety of institutions, groups and businesses, getting information about our work out to as many people as possible and helping us grow our reach.
The post is part time and can be based at home (anywhere in the UK) or in our offices in central Liverpool. Below is a full job description and personal specification.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 18th January 2018. If you are interested in putting yourself forward please send a covering letter including a few interesting facts about yourself, why you feel you would be brilliant at the job and copy of your CV to Helen Sharpe: [email protected]
Our mission is to end global poverty through one simple idea; People give 1% of their income to help the world’s poorest communities.
Be One Percent started in 2011 when we were looking for a way a group of like-minded people could make a difference to poverty. What began as an experiment amongst a few friends has grown and we now have over 200 members giving 1% of their salary every month.
We collect all those 1%’s and partner this money with the most efficient and effective charities we can find. Our monthly email explains how much was raised and how that money will be used. Generous business donors fund our running costs meaning we can pledge 100% of member’s donations to projects which help communities work their way out of poverty.
We’ve raised over £375K in the past six years and changed the lives of millions of people in some of the world’s poorest communities by providing things like improved healthcare, small business loans and access to clean water for the first time.
We grow by reputation. Our newest fundraising partner are Google who featured Be One Percent in their December 2017 Giving Week, where Google employees inspire their peers to donate to their favourite organisations and multiply their impact.
This role is about identifying opportunities and telling our story in a compelling way, leading people to action. One day you may have arranged to speak to a group of university students the next day you could be presenting to staff at Google.
Working alongside our Consultant Development Manager and trustees through this role the charity is explicitly looking to grow membership from 220 to 500 by May 2019.
- You will care deeply about helping the world’s poorest people
- You will be a compassionate, clear-thinking, organised self-starter who is looking for a challenging role in shaping an amazing charity
- You will be a gifted communicator and happy to present to a whole host of audiences
- You thrive in meeting new people and would be willing to hit the ground running and build a pipeline of opportunity
- The thought of regular travel fills you with excitement and opportunity.
In terms of your experience you may have years of corporate or charitable sales experience or have just graduated looking for your first role. The key for us is your ability to demonstrate you can help us achieve our objectives in terms of securing new members
About the Role
- Work with the Consultant Development Manger and trustees to develop a strategy to increase our reach
- Find and build relationships with businesses, educational institutions and religious organisations gaining opportunities to present our mission and vision
- Schedule appointments to tell our story on a weekly basis
- Have a direct impact in signing up new members in person or online
- Support in the development of an online marketing strategy which speaks to our target audience
- Work with the Consultant Development Manager in connecting with our Be One Percent Businesses to communicate our achievements and encourage employees to join up
- Research fundraising opportunities and write grant applications to charitable trusts
- Provide reports and presentations to board of trustees
Salary and Terms
- 6 month initial freelance contract with the intention to make permanent subject to performance
- The role will initially start at 3 days per week
- Salary – Day rate £80 – £150 per day depending on experience
- Hours – Flexible working day
- Location – Opportunity to split between Liverpool city centre and home
- Travel – Regular UK travel excepted + One overseas trip per annum